Friday, August 17, 2007

Un-Image-inable experience..

Today I felt yet again how Google excels in "not" pissing off its users. And my respect for Google grew more. I had created a flickr account when it had just started and my first experience was not even close to great. I had just uploaded some 20 images and my monthly limit of 20MB had reached. Now what is 20 MB, even a stupid e-mail service provides more than that. But well, I found a work around this problem through a friend.

If you upload photos through mail, there is no limit check. Awesome!! I uploaded few more pics in coming months but never used the service to host 'all' my photos as emailing was not very friendly. I understand that pro users is the only Biz model that Flickr had so there was no way they would provide lots of free services. But come on, just 20 MBs..

Then I switched to Kodakgallery with a great photo uploading tool - OFotoNow that is freely available. I think it was kept free because nobody would pay for a Photo uploading application that crashes after uploading every photo that too with a very "User Friendly" Null-Pointer exception message. The developers must have worked really hard to add bugs in a simple Photo uploading app.

And then I switched to Picasa. Picasaweb provides cool 1GB limit which is awesome. The Picasa desktop client provides a great photo handling experience with seam-less integration with PicasaWeb. All you got to do is drag-drop and thats it. And guess what, It never crashes.

I already have few albums on it now.

Anyways, Today I somehow went to Flickr website again and it was "really amazing" to see that they had changed the 20MB limit to 100MB now. Wow! great. I tried their AJAX based multiple photo uploading which was quiet cool and uploaded full 80+ photos in no time.

And this is what they give me in the end.


I still dont understand whats wrong in giving a OK experience to free users. The service should provide something mindblowingly great for premium users that makes them upgrade and not by limiting them at every step to use the service if they are free.

I guess thats ok, Google is always there with 1 GB limit. When I reach that limit I am sure they would have increased it to 2 GBs ;).

6 comments:

kunal said...

dude the flickr-crap image has not come up :)
and I use flickr only for selected uploads... anytime I have many photographs or a whole album I use picasaweb.. and this has been working great for me ..

sandeep said...

@kunal: oops..i hope its showing now.. it cached on my system probably..always showign it.. anyways, yeah u r write..looks like i hv to maintain two photo identities too ..

Himank said...

Another prob with flickr is that it doesnt let u mmakemore than 3 albums.. :(

smr said...

get a flickr pro account. its worth its cost.

skp said...

flickr sucks...
ranta sucks...
free stuff rocks...

Sreejith said...

picasa works for me :)