Wednesday, September 7, 2005

reading blogs is the only motivation :(

Today is Vinayak Chaturthi and guess what again, I am in office. I did not have any 'official' work that brought me here, but just that 'I didnt have anything to do at home'. I dont remember how many times I might have used the above statement in past few days. Just last saturday I came to office that too without any 'official work' and only 4 days passed and I am here again.

I was just browsing when I opened the Blogroll and saw Sreejith's post on a similar subject. I was about to comment on that when I see few more people agreeing with Sreejith including Kunal and Rocky. Guess what! they are also in office; good to hear that I am not alone. I still remember our meeting with the Alumni in IIIT (I still remember the old glory days) when one of our seniors told us not to make office a hangout. But it seems to be the case with me. I am coming here just like that. Yesterday we released our Alpha build so anyways I dont have lot of work right now.

Atleast we are planning to go for a movie today. Dont know whether the plan will materialize. Our timings are so awfully stupid that we cant just find enough 'common' time to enjoy. Last sunday we had plans of going for movie which we dropped just because the then coming wednesday was a holiday. We thought we will go for movie on teusday night , the late night show (which was the one we mostly saw while we were in IIIT). But guess what, Manjeet reached home at 10:30, Nitin came at 10:00, I came at 9:20 and Gaurav as usual at 10:00.
Now how the hell can we go for a movie after 10:30. Now the plans are up again but Manjeet once again has some 'work' at office so he might not make it. And offcourse if he wont make it, we cant go.

Anyways..The point of this post was the sreejith's blog entry. I definitely agree with Sreejith. Today itself I was reading somewhere that 'Computers were created to ease our tasks and to help us do things faster but its the reverse thats happening'. Ever since we have started using computers we have a time crunch. In Institute it was still OK but now .. huh!! . In the last post itself I wrote that I have been breaking records in taking quick baths. Thats mostly a result of this. We work from almost 9:30 to 9:30 and then who the hell has time to do 'other' things.

Thinking of it, what are these other things. Two days back itself Gaurav was getting frustrated of our lifestyle (I will add that his timings are fixed - 12:00 to 10:00). We have been skipping breakfasts mostly, taking lunch and some crap dinner on weekends or eating pizzas or some crap like that. The only good thing that we do is whenever we go for dinner we take a juice. We have discussed it so many times already and I will quote myself here: "our lives have got sampled down to a cycle of 5,2,5,2 days; we live in office for 5 days for our respective (and 'respected') companies and live for ourselves for the rest of 2 days. And this cycle continues" . Now forget about those 5 days and concentrate only on 2 days. In these 2 days, we want to sleep a lot, watch movies, hang out, chat, blog, browse, eat good food, u name it. So finally we end up doing almost none of these.

In the middle of some discussion we suddenly (mostly its me) realize and raise a point. It has been more than 3 months since we have joined our companies. It seems to be a very small time, but thinking of it, its not that small. Three months was appx a semester for us. Compare both of these now. If I start thinking what I have been doing in the past few days, I would recall only few movie names, few outings, Very few 'BC' sessions and even lesser 'intellectual' sessions. If I keep on going this way, I will be brain dead by the end of this year :( .

I think it will really be a great idea if we take some time off from all these mundane stuff. Going to a place like Goa will really refresh and rejuvenate our minds. Going out for a day to a movie is just like 'bg' for a running process (read 'job'). But if we take even 2-3 days off from our daily life , it will be a 'reboot' to our mind and will really refresh us. I think I should think about it seriously.

4 comments:

Sreejith said...

Not really happy to see that most of us face the same predicament. But I am taking proactive measures... got tickets for salaam-namaste for saturday :) You should also do something similar and get the others motivated too!

Rakesh said...

hey me too .. going fro Salaam Namaste ;)

Kunal said...

dude, we are planning a trip to b'lore next weekend. we'll go and 'bore' all the people there.
what say?

Asheesh said...

Hey dude :)

how r u?

I agree with u,never thought of this before joining the company but
now it is happening.Used to laugh when ppl would tell stories abt them staying in office for long hrs

but now I am in the same situation:)

guess it is becuase we are addicted to computers and can't enjoy without it ,hope situation changes when I bring my pc here.