Monday, January 17, 2005

Trip to Shimla

finally the trip to simla happened...after so much of hussle

we made it happen...parry agreed, parivesh also agreed , darbari could

not come because of his fyp demonstration...

we were 14 of us...ketan,manjeet,amal,sunil,vidit,pankaj,rocky,parivesh,

khare,vardhman,adi,parry,kunal and me...

As a whole the trip was good enough, i cant compare it with the goa trip

as both were different experiences altogether...goa was filled with fun..

whereas simla trip was difficult and cool..we almost travelled for 1400 kms

in 6 days...which included mainly chandigarh,pinjore,kalka(just visited),

solan,simla,diroti(in tikkar - a small but nice village)...these are the

places we actually stayed in...and spent our time started on 16th from

delhi at 10:00 am or so and finished in ghaziabad at appx 8:00 am...for 8 of us

it was a great amount of travelling in train/qualis ... we almost spent half

of us our time in travelling only...we actually started from hyderabad and

ended up at our respective was almost 10 days more

place that we stayed in was kanpur...that was vidit's home...

we started off from hyderabad on 13th of december by AP express in the morning

at 7:10 ... we had gone out the previous night for dinner and some shopping..

i love shopping when i have good company...the train journey was intersting..

we played dumb-charades for almost 3-4 hrs...all good movies(eng,hindi) got

exhausted...ranta came out to be the best actor..and parry was best movie was fun...we had all the 8 seats of the block so there was noone

to disturb...ranta was maintaining the accounts...we ate alot...we had poori-aloo

in breakfast ... it was ok-ok...we were hungry afterall...then all of us went

to sleep...i was made to get up at 12:30 or so..and after that i just had a

small nap , not more than that...we ate cutlets, noodles, etc etc

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Can he really open his eyes ever...

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

The unforgettable Train journey

we played dumb-charades for most of the time and all time passed...then we

had a good dinner in itarsi...its the best station for eating and stuff...

we had pooris again and some sweets and all...after chatting and all for some

more time we went for sleep again as our station was supposed to come at

about 2:30...we had to get down at jhansi station and board pushpak express.

It was the best option as we could reach kanpur by 7:00 in the morning...the

other option was taking a bus by which we would have reached kanpur around

12:00 in the afternoon...pushpak was on the opposite platform when we reached

jhansi...the train was full of people and we had to sit near the doors of some

bogie...we paid 800 rs to the TT and still did not get seats :( ... we spent

our time reading last year acm kanpur's paper...ranta was reading algos book,

cormen. Vidit was reading fountain-head. Manjeet was listening to hum-tum/kal

ho na ho casette. He would come every now and then and switch to speaker, this

frustrated parry alot :). It was hardly a 5 hrs journey but each one of us was

exhausted. We reached kanpur station at 7:30 where we met vidit's parents and

his younger brother aditya. We went to vidit's home and got relieved.

The house was huge. There was so much of vegetation that could feed a family

for one season :). All of us were too lazy to take bath and all and we drank tea

without even brushing :). Atleast some of us brushed. I remember, rocky brushed

before drinking. Then it was time to take bath. Kunal went first, I went after him.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Comic time...back to kindergarten :)

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Enjoying the Sun...good morning guys

I was already suffering from mild cold which i knew would turn into the same

cold that I mostly get. I got cough also. I was feeling pretty bad about it.

All of us got ready and had a good breakfast. Then we went to IIT kanpur for

warm up session arranged by them. We reached there at appx 1:00. All 8 of us.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Grand Break-Fast.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

IIIT Hyderabad at IIT Kanpur

We saw the lab where the contest was to be held. Then we went to the control

room where we were supposed to report. The warm up was from 3:00 to 5:00.

We told others to leave and me,ranta and amal went for lunch. The menu was

similar to our mess but the quality looked a bit better.

We walked our way to the computer lab and were well before time. We sat on the

staircase and few other teams also copied us. Finally we entered the lab and

the contest started(warm up session). There was only one problem which was very

easy , we submitted it at 3:10 or so and started editing .bashrc,.vimrc etc.

Vidit had given his mobile to me which I had kept on silent so I missed 4 of his

calls. I just saw it at 3:15 and made a call to vidit. They cancelled their program

of going to lucknow in the afternoon and were waiting for us. We got out and the

Qualis was waiting for us. We reached home at 4:30 or so. Kunal and parry were

sitting in sun reading archies. Rest of the people were sleeping. Then one by

one everyone woke up .

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Bade miyan,chote miyan...Vidit and his younger brother Aditya

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Amal was last to take bath I guess..that means everyone is ready :)

The lucknow plan was postponed to next day and we all

went to roam around in kanpur itself. We went to the 'Mahal of Tantya tope' behind

which the great 'Ganga' River was visible. It was a stunning Mahal. We were literally

stunned :) .

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

That makes 4 of us...

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

The Great Tantya-Tope's Fort/Mahal

We went to a multiplex called 'Rave' then

we went to some market. I wasnt feeling well at all. I just wanted to go back

and sleep. People were purchasing monkey caps, inner wear etc to fight cold in

simla. Finally the shopping got over and we went back. We had a good dinner and

gulab-jamuns in the end.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

No food for Rocky :)

I gargled to avoid worsening of my throat and took a

medicine which vidit's father gave me for cold. Ranta,me and Amal slept together

in one room.We three had a big day ahead.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Still Sleeping...

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Bathing for the first time...

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Woke up early...bad habits never leave.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Ranta - The Sleeping beauty...

We got up pretty early. The contest was from 10:00 to 3:00. We reached IIT at

9:25. Rocky and Vidit came with us. The contest started, we had divided the problems

into 3 sets. Amal had to read first 2, i had to read last three and ranta middle three.

We solved one question after more than an hour. One question which Ranta coded

had some minor problem due to which it wasnt getting accepted. The contest got

over at 3:00. We were 13th at that time. Before the contest I felt that we should

perform to our best and should not feel that 'we could have done better' as I dont

like that feeling. But after the contest I was getting that feeling only. Lets

just forget it.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

They had fun in Lucknow... without us :(

We came back and after having tea I went to sleep. These people came frm lucknow

after I slept. I wasnt feeling well at all. There were two things in my mind, one

was the contest and the other was that if I dont get well by morning I wont go

to simla trip. Uncle again gave me some medicines which worked like wonder.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Leaving time...:( we still miss the good food Vidit.

We finally took the train at 10:30 PM from kanpur central station. All of us

were tired and we went to sleep. The other group of 6 people were to come to Delhi

by AP express. They had to join us there. We finally got up when the station came.

I wanted to sleep more and I can bet that everyone wanted the same.

We came to the wimpy's outlet where the taxis were supposed to come. Bothra told

me to take my phone out and when I did it was able to connect. I called my sister

and she told taxis will come any minute. Finally the taxis came after so much of

waiting and after putting the luggage and all I went with mom/dad and sis to

wimpys ditching all my friends :) ... the other 6 also came at appx 9:15 because

of the delay of AP express. After they made phonecalls and all we started our

journey in 2 jeeps(Qualis) to chandigarh. The plan was changing every now and then.

So thinking where we r going and all was useless. Just sit in the car and reach

some place, after reaching there think about wt to do.

We were very excited from the start of the road trip itself. We were singing

songs, shouting, drinking (coke only :( ) and obviously eating. The driver was

also cool, he participated actively in most of the things we did and added to

the fun. I was sitting in the middle row with Manjeet and Ketan, Amal was with

Vardhman in the back and Parivesh was with Pankaj in the front.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Lunch time....

We stopped for lunch in a dhaba and ate a lot. Here by saying a lot I am not

at all exaggerating. We had lots of paranthas, chicken biryani, veg fried rice

already and Ranta had ordered rotis also. We had to leave 2 full biryani

packets there. The kheer was the best part of the meal. It was one full bowl

and only some of us were eating. The spoons were pretty small so we switched

to the 'brute force' approach ie Pick up the bowl, start drinking. Finally it

got over. We had tea there and then we left of for chandigarh.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Money matters...

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

After eating till no more entered the mouth...

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

I have left hope....he wont wake up..

In no time we reached chandigarh. After eating we were all feeling sleepy but

we played antakshari. Manjeet started flirting with ketan as usual with his

ultimate love collection. Parivesh and Pankaj also had a very good old songs

collection. We reached chandigarh around 5:00 or so. As soon as we entered

chandigarh the driver had a small fight with a 'sardar ji' who were too

willing to come under our qualis.

The 17th sector market was the 'best' market I have seen for the very 'obvious'

reason. We roamed there for 2-3 hours. Amal bought chocolates for ketan and

'chicky' for himself which obviously we did not let him eat. Ketan was also

kind enough to share the chocolates which was very unusual :). We went to the

sweet shop where we ate lots of sweets like 'gajar ka halwa','moong daal ka

halwa' and gulab jamun. We also came across a girl for the third time there

who seemed to be following us. We were staring at her again and again as she

was also looking :). After roaming for sometime we came back to the place

where the taxi was parked. We found a bench where we sat, the four of us and

discussed lots of things which I dont remember now.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Resting in peace :) after roaming for 3-4 hrs.

Slowly everyone started

coming and ranta came with his brother Susheel who looked pretty different

from Ranta. His hands were pretty solid which I found in a hand-shake. Some of

us were tired and thought of retiring to the hotel and so we went. The hotel's

name was 'City Plaza' in which we had 4 rooms.

Amal , Ketan , Manjeet and I took one room. We watched spiderman on HBO and

after that we slept. We woke up the next morning and got ready pretty early

(only 1 hour late from the expected time). As usual after forcing everyone to

get ready Ranta went to take bath :) . We kept all the luggage in one car

itself to make more space in other. Bothra and I went for a small Jog while

everyone was coming. We started off once again with Amal,ketan , me , bothra,

rocky and susheel in one car. After crossing Panchkula we stopped for a small

time in pinjore and continued. I was thinking of all the holidays which I

spent in Panchkula. We crossed pinjore garden and while crossing the border

something unexpected happened.

We were stopped because we were travelling in a private vehicle. Rocky got

down and mistakenly told that guy that Manjeet has hired the car and unluckily

when manjeet got down he told a different story. After around 1/2 hour of

requesting he came down to 300 from 6000 which was his first demand. In the

mean time almost everyone from the other car had come down to see what

happened. Some of us ate bread-omlette there.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

The HP border where we paid fine...nice view

The next stop was near Parwanoo

where there was Timber-Trail. It was a 2 Km ropeway between two hills. We went

all the way up thinking every now and then of falling :). Everything was

looking so small as if we were looking from Moon. The highway changed to a

thick line, then to a thin line and then it vanished. Others who were left

behind changed from 100 Pixel area to 0 in no time . It was exciting and

interesting. There was a holiday-resort there living in which would be


Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Picture from the trolley..think what would have happened if...:()

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Another view from the timber-trail

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

The starting point from Final Destination

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Top of the world...from top of timber-trail

From the top the whole chandigarh was visible except that there was

lot of fog. We did the most stupid thing that could be done in a place like

that, we played tennis. Almost all of us got a chance of playing and all of us

played badly obviously. It was a fantastic place. We left after sometime and

came back down. Khare was looking quiet nervous. The journey down was as

exciting as the journey up. After everyone joined in we started for Solan.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

The 2 kms journey in air...

After lot of travelling, mostly up-hill we reached Solan. We

probably must have pursued the wrong way atleast 2-3 times. Finally

we reached Nauni where we (or Ranta) was supposed to meet

someone. It was almost 1:00 by the time we reached there. Rocky , Kunal and I

went for some 'important' work in the library of that college. The college was

pretty good with roads,buildings on the hills and there was lot of calmness in

the air. Some of us walked our way back to the main gate where we had to take

lunch. Parivesh was not feeling well at all. Here only Parivesh produced an

ultimate fatta when someone told him that he is having stomach-ache. He said

"abe yaar band-aid khale pet ke dard ke liye". The food was pretty good, there

was rajma, mushroom, tandoori roti, chawal, kadi just for 25 rs or so. After

eating a hell lot we had tea and once again we started off for shimla.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Finally he woke up.....

We reached shimla at appx 5:00 and went directly to the 3-4 floored parking

lot which seemed to me the centre of the whole place. From there we took off

the hotel where we had to stay. The room was quiet comfortable with a small

balcony facing the city. After freshning up we went to the mall road and it

was already dark. We broke up into small groups and started roaming. Manjeet,

ketan and Vardhman were with me. Mall road again was a good market for the

same 'obvious' reason. Manjeet purchased a lot of things. We also had soup on

the way and I had 'masala tea' which was either horrible or it was made

horribly. It was a pretty big market and good for those who love shopping.

While coming back we sat on a bench from where the whole Shimla looked

glittering. We had to reach 'the scandal point' at 8:00 from where Ranta had

some plans for us.

Ranta took us to the 'lakad bazaar' which mostly was similar to mall road. The

tomato soup was too good. We bought key rings and other small things made of

wood. The behaviour of most of the shop-keepers was curious. Those who were

closing shops were not willing to sell anything while closing. This behaviour

looked pretty amazing to me and bothra. Bothra , me and ketan had decided not

to go for 'Swades' as planned by Ranta and so we had a small dinner of

burger/soup and we went back to hotel. Once again we retired to our bed and

slepped at 10:30 or so after watching TV for sometime.

In the morning ranta came again to disturb us and once again he got ready

after everyone else. We had tea and the plum cake which Amal had bought from

somewhere. Now we had to go to Ranta's home. We went directly to 'Jhaku

temple' where there were lots of monkeys. The roads to the temple had lots of

sharp curves and it was a bit difficult for driving. As soon as we entered the

temple a nasty monkey jumped on Parry and took away his glasses. Initially

Parry did not realize but when he found out he was in a bit of shock. A guy

selling 'parshad' threw a packet on the monkey and the monkey left the glasses

and ran away. When we went up we found even more monkeys. The place behind the

temple was very soothing. There were ice-capped hills visible on all sides.

There were lots of tall trees all around. Ranta's brother gave some 'parshad'

to the monkey and the monkey ate it happily. Then Ranta, Google all offered it

the same. While coming back Amal also slipped on the stairs as he was wearing

Ranta's shoes instead of his own which were pretty slippery. His leg was

bleeding. Now we had to go to the 'Indian Institute of Advanced Studies' where

post-doc people research on Social Sciences. We reached the place at 12:00

appx and walked a long way to reach inside.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Alumni of Advanced studies :)

The place was very intersting , it

was made by the first Viceroy of India. Everything inside the building was

made of wood. We saw the library, the conference room where the discussion

for the partition took place, the table on which the partition was signed,

there were few preserved pictures of various people and events also. Rocky also

got a crush on the girl who was our guide in that place (did not ask her name).

Everything displayed there was '116' years old, including the wallpaper that did

not seem to be affected by all these years. The lawn in front of the place was

also awesome. We had a round around the place with the mysterious staircase

and a small canteen where Bothra, Ketan, Rakesh and I ate sandwiches.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting


The place must have looked really intersting during nights in the moonlight,

especially when there is no electricity. After IIAS we started of for Kufri.

We stopped in Kufri where we had lunch. The view from the restaurant was

mindblowing. Everyone seemed to be getting a shock in that restaurant. Many

people got an electric shock from the tap. Vidit got it when he touched

ketan, wow!. The water was too cold to be touched by naked hands :).

After lunch we had tea in a small dhaba and we went to visit some tourist

spot in kufri. It was nearly 4:00 already. When we reached there we found

out hundreds of horses which looked more like donkeys and few yaks.

It would have taken more than an hour if we had taken the rides and visited

places so we thought of returning. Bothra , vardhman, kunal and adi went for

rides though. Bothra was happy to see the pakistan-india border from the

top of the hill. We were waiting in the parking lot sitting in the car.

Parivesh , pankaj and all were playing with a monkey sitting near the car.

Finally eveyrone came back and we continued our way to Ranta's home.

Vidit,Ranta,Amal and I was sitting in the back. Vidit tried a lot to take the

'mysterious' photo of the girl on mountains and succeeded to some extent.

Ranta was telling stories about his school, his apple orchards etc. We stopped

in 'Narkanda' for having some tea etc. The ride was pretty bumpy at some places

as the road condition was not very good. There was something visible pretty

far from the road on a hill that looked like fire. It was visible from various

angles in the journey. Amal was not agreeing that its fire but finally agreed

to it when he saw it from Ranta's home. I still dont understand how could we

see the same fire for such a long time. We also came across some people

walking aimlessly on the road which we thought were ghosts. The whole way was

pretty dark and there were forests all around. The slope was very steep which

was not visible but ranta told later. After travelling for a long long time

and ranta saying after every ten minutes that 'only 10 kms are left' we reached

'Tikker' and then 'Daroti'. Ranta was right only once when he said in Tikker

that now 'its just a matter of seconds'.

The cars stopped and we came out, there was no house visible as such except

few lights here or there. We walked or trekked our way to Ranta's house as

there was no direct road till there. The apple orchards were all around

with the trees without any leaf or Apples. Parry was quiet nervous while going

down the path. Finally we entered the house. It was made of wood mostly. There

was a charcoal fire where we sat and nobody seem to be taking his hands/feet

away from it. One by one all of us washed our hands/face and went to the room

where we had to sleep. It was quiet a big room and was very comfortable. It

had two double beds in the two ends of the room , a sofa set in the middle and

carpets on the floor, and to everyone's convenience there was a heater also.

The dinner was served in this room itself. Ranta brought apples for us and

everyone ate atleast one. There were lots of delicious things in the dinner

which made all of us overeat. There was rajma ( or 'dal' called by Ranta),

Matar Paneer, Rice, Rotis with 'Ghee' and custard in the end. After

having such a good dinner we all retired to our beds.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

The morning view...things that were invisible the previous night

The next morning was beautiful. Though getting up from the bed was difficult

but one by one all of us got ready. The surroundings of the place which were

not visible the previous night were now visible covered in fog. It was simply

awesome. We had decided upon going for trekking to a nearby place 'Giri-ganga'.

Susheel had said already that going for 2 days trekking would be impossible as

the temperature at night would be killing. We had 'Poori-Aloo' and Halwa for

breakfast and once again we ate a lot. As I had got ready quiet early , we were

sitting in the lawn on the 'Jhoola' and watching the scene which we might not be

seeing for months after going back. The view was magnificent. We left for trekking

at about 11:00 AM and reached the place at around 1:00 PM. It was pretty far, as

it took us so much time to reach there. We had to go up a hill and there was

no road , it was full of mud and was slippery. There was a steep fall just

beside the path. We travelled in the cars for 6 kms up the hill and then

parked the cars there. Then we started on foot. Ketan and I had to come back

to leave some stuff and take water so we got behind. Others had already left.

Manjeet, Ketan, Amal, Ranta and I were together. We were getting tired and out

of breath as the oxygen in air was pretty less. Manjeet and Ranta took a

shortcut and reached early. Ketan , Amal and I reached pretty late. We met

Khare, Parivesh, Pankaj, Ranta where they were resting. Then we continued and

finally reached the Temple which was surrounded by a pool of ice. There was a

small half-freezed river flowing nearby.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Freezing Rocky ;)

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

The frozen river....

We went up through stairs and got

what most of us were looking for, the Snow. We played in snow and continued

upwards. Parry got tired so he left with Amal. There was a small wooden

structure which looked abandoned. There were trees all around and it looked

to be an intersting place to visit at night :) . We went further and stopped

on a small clear patch of land to rest.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Cool guys in cool place...parry what are you thinking

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

The achievers

Everyone left except Khare , Manjeet

and myself. Khare had hurt his foot in the frozen pool and probably that was

the reason why he was so quiet. We talked rubbish for sometime and laughed at

ourselves and then we also retraced our steps backwards. We reached back at

4:30 or so. Amal and Parry were sitting inside the Car. Someone said that its

freezing cold so I gave an idea of starting a small fire to warm up and to

pass time. Driver had the match-box and so we started. The driver was pretty

skilled in starting a fire. We had a good time sitting around the fire and

discussing crazy things. We were waiting for others as the sun-set was near.

Rakesh, Ketan and Adi also came. We were having good time with both the

drivers making us laugh with all stupid talks they were indulged in.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

The people who reached top of the hill.

Finally, Ranta, Nishchay, Susheel, Parivesh, Kunal , Pankaj came and we got

into the cars to get back to Ranta's house. We had to refill the tanks as the

cars were running out of diesel. We played antakshari again during the whole

journey. It was fun. We reached home and the dinner once again was delicious.

There was Mutton in the dinner which only some of us ate, others being

Vegetarian. We went back to room and I was feeling very sleepy. Ketan and I

slept pretty early. In the morning Ranta,Bothra,Vidit,Amal, Ketan and myself,

all were sleeping on the same bed jumping around tickling each other.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Cat eyes...

It had rained last night with snowfall in some nearby hills. It seemed that

the snow-covered hills that were looking far the previous day had come closer.

The nearest peaks were covered with snow. The fog around the hill was looking

like clouds. It was awfully cold and the water was freezing.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

The god's gift for us...the Snow

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

The heavenly view from Ranta's house.

Ranta and I spent

some time on the 'Jhoola' again and discussed the question which I had. Why do

people live here. I guess now I kind of know why they live there but still not

fully sure. The climate was going berserk and more snowfall was expected which

would have led to blocking of roads therefore we changed our plans and decided

to leave the same afternoon instead of next day. We thought of staying in

Simla. As we were running out of cash, Parivesh talked to his father to get

accomodation in the Government Guest house in Simla for a night. We had to

contact those people for confirmation. There were some complications but we

finally got accomodation.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Parivesh trying his luck on JUDO

We bid adieu to the 'Ranta family' after taking some family/group pictures.

Everyone came till the road to see us off.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Ranta's Family

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

and the 'IIIT finally'

As the journey started towards

simla we found lots of snow nearby. We stopped in a place to have a look at

the snow and we were gifted snow-fall by god. It was an eternal experience.

That was the first snow-fall for most of us. We went farther and got more

snow. We had a small snow-fight with the best shots of Vidit. He threw a whole

one kg of snow on my face and my ear started ringing. After playing in the

snow and taking some more pictures we continued...

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

The Snow Fall...

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Snow, snow we started playing with it

We reached Simla finally at 5:00 or so. We parked in the same 3 storeyed parking

lot and went to call up the Guest house. They mistakenly had booked only 2

rooms for us. We also ate bread-omlette without anyone else's knowledge :) as

they were waiting upstairs. Finally we reached the guest house which was appx

5 kms from Mall road. The guest house was very comfortable and it looked more

like a resort than a guest house. There was a big lawn in front of the main

entrance. Most of the cars parked were VIPs' cars. There was lot of security

as the CM was coming to stay there itself. Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam (President) was

also coming to stay in the same guest-house the next day. After lots of

negotitations we got two more rooms. We took the last room in the wing which

also had a small balcony from where there were trees and small part of Simla

visible. The room was pretty big with everything available. We went for the

dinner in the Guest-house' Restaurant. We ate quiet a lot as we were very

hungry. Kunal got a call from Darbari for the good news. Vidit and Kunal had

got above 99 percentiles in CAT. Vidit promised to give a treat depending on

the no of calls. We discussed on what should be done the next day. We had 3

options. First , to leave the place asap , leave ketan in Chandigarh and reach

Delhi in the night itself. Second option was to leave for chandigarh early

morning, leave ketan there and roam around in chandigarh till late and travel

during the night. Third option was to roam in Simla in the morning, Chandigarh

in evening and travel overnite.

We took the second option and went to sleep. The movie 'Rockford' was being

played on some channel. I wanted to see that movie but the dinner time did not

allow me to. We got up early the next morning and left for Simla. I asked

Parivesh for the bill and he said everything is done. Thanks to Parivesh , we

saved 2500 rs appx which would have been a big difference in the whole

expenditure. Bothra, Vidit and Khare had planned to take the Train from Simla

to Kalka that passes through 105 tunnels. But Vidit and Khare had ditched

bothra. When we went to the station to get the tickets, Amal had already

decided to join bothra. Google was also intersted, I also joined in. Then

Vidit,Kunal, Adi and parivesh also came with us. It was just 37 rs ticket.

Initially the journey seemed intersting but we started getting bored after

sometime. So we started playing Dumb-Charades. We drank Tea in 'kullhad', had

'moong-fali','matar',etc.. The time passed very quickly and finally we reached


Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

The Simla-Kalka train.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Parivesh in Simla-Kalka train....koi mil gaya!!!

The driver was waiting for us. We got into the car and started off. I had

thought of meeting 'Nana-ji' while going back but we had to meet others at

5:30 and so we had to hurry up. It was decided that we will go to Pinjore

garden which seemed to be changed alot since my last visit 6 years down the

lane. There were many 'people' inside. The place was more lively than last

time. When we went to see the animals in the cages we were amazed to see the

'invisible' animals. All the cages were empty to our disappointment. But it

was OK as we really were not intersted in seeing animals. We took some

photographs, in one of which we had the invisible monkey with us. Vidit and I

kept our hands around the invisible monkey's neck.

Image Hosted by Cool Photo Host - FREE Photo & Image Hosting

Pinjore garden, the invisible monkey sitting between me and Vidit.

After sometime we came out. We ate 'icecream ke pakode', sounds freaky does n't

it. I dont know how he made it, but they were BAD. Instead we could have

eaten the icecream itself. While coming back we stopped by at my 'Nana Ji's'

place. I had thought of stopping for 5 minutes which naturally got extended to

15-20. I had planned to show the garden's of Panchkula to them but we had no

time. We went back to chandigarh where everyone was sleeping in the Car.

Khare,Parry,Pankaj had visited 'Rock garden' and Khare particularly was

'appreciating' it alot. Once again we went to the sweet shop for having a

small dinner. Vidit,Bothra and Parivesh were with me. We got place to sit and

ordered. The first round had one 'chola batoora', one 'raj kachori' and some

more stuff, in second round we ordered another chola batoora and a raj kachori

as they were delicious. We also ordered gulab jamun, moong dal ka halwa, gajar

ka halwa and ras-malai if I remember correctly. Then we came back to the taxi

as Vidit,khare and Bothra had to go to Kalka station to board a train.

Amal,Aditya and I went with these people to drop them in Kalka station. We

gave bumps to Amal in front of the station and after chatting for some time we

left. We had to bypass chandigarh and take the route directly towards Delhi

and we had to meet the other car at some dhaba. Some of us who were hungry ate

in the dhaba and we started off for Delhi.

We reached Delhi station at 6:00 AM . I and Rocky took one car and left. I

dropped Rocky and came home. After 10 minutes Amal and Pankaj also came after

dropping others in Nizamuddin. We had Gobi paranthas in breakfast and then we

went to sleep. Pankaj and Amal's train was at 6:00 and 6:40 resp. They reached

the Delhi station at 5:45. Pankaj's train was 3 hours late in which I dont

know what he did. Finally everyone reached home after such a LONG trip.

Hope you enjoyed reading it...


1 comment:

sandeep said...

This blog keeps the memories of the trip alive and will refresh those memories whenever any of us will see it in future.